Top 12 Things You Didn’t Know About Adult Day Care
There are a number of options to consider when selecting a long term care solution for your aging loved one. Unfortunately, adult day care is one option which is often under-utilized and over-looked. In-home care and assisted living are some of the more popular care options; however adult day care should be considered for a number of different reasons. While awareness of the benefits is limited, trends do show that it is growing in popularity.
Below are the top 12 things you probably did not know about Adult Day Care.
1. Affordable: Most day programs cost a fraction of what other care services cost. Typically a day costs averages $60 per day including meals. In-home care costs average about $20 per hour or $160 for a full day of care (8 hours).
2. Socialization: Adult day care offers a great social opportunity. Studies show seniors who feel lonely have a significantly greater chance of developing dementia and heart conditions. Socialization is one of the key benefits.
3. Medical Support: Centers often have medical support services like nurses to help manage medications and other daily clinical needs.
4. Staff Continuity: The staff remains consistent allowing for better continuity of care. With in-home services, often the caregivers change daily or weekly creating gaps in the care.
5. Quality Care: Adult day cares are regulated and/or licensed by the county and/or state level assuring proper staffing ratio and qualifications.
6. Variety of Activities: Day center programs offer a wide variety of activities way beyond TV and Bingo. There is exercise, art, music, brain games, computers, current events, and so much more.
7. Alzheimer’s/ Dementia support: Many centers have special programs designed specifically for older adults with dementia or Alzheimer’s disease. Creating safe and engaging environments.
8. Family Activities: The family is included in special programs throughout the year creating a sense of community.
9. Caregiver Respite: Adult day care provides much needed respite to families who struggle daily with the pressures of full-time caregiving.
10. Caregiver Support: Most centers offer support groups where caregivers will find that they are not alone when having to manage the care of a loved one. The stress can be overwhelming, but finding others who share the experience can offer a great deal of relief.
11. Rehabilitation Services: Many centers have rehabilitation services to support individuals who are recovering from a fall or stroke. Services can include speech therapy, occupational therapy, and physical therapy.
12. Nutrition: Seniors often have challenges with their nutrition, at an adult day care program the meals are prepared by qualified nutritionists and are well balanced and nutritious.
13. Peace of Mind: One of the most important things that Adult Day Care can offer is the peace of mind to family caregivers who know that their aging loved one is in a safe, fun, socially-engaging setting where they are happy and well cared for, while not risking financial ruin.
Article Source: https://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Inger_Rarick
This post has already been read 838 times!